Saturday, March 5, 2011

The spotlight is on you


 The lights go down, you walk onto the stage. A spotlight hits you. Suddenly, your mind goes blank.

Whether you are on the stage to sing, act or give a presentation, stage fright hits everyone at one point or another. Conquering that fear is hard to do. Even the most seasoned performers have their bouts with stage fright. According to entertainmentwise, even Lady Gaga gets nervous before a show.


To some people, speaking in front of crowds comes easy. I have always been jealous of those people. Singing for crowds comes naturally; speaking for them is not as easy.


I share this with legendary singer Carly Simon. She still cannot read aloud but claims that singing has helped conquer stuttering. It is a fact that anyone who stutters will sing fluently. Despite her Grammy and many hits, Carly shares she has "legendary stage fright." She attributes the fear to her "stammer."


Singing in front of the world and doing live interviews would scare most people. It astounds me that anyone with a stutter could face those fears.


For the other 99 per cent of the world's population who do not stutter, if you are afraid of public speaking you have what is known as Glossophobia. Yes, there is a term for the fear of public speaking. According to the Glossophobia website, "Public speaking is considered the greatest fear a person can have, even greater than the fear of death."


If you have a fear of public speaking, there are many options to conquer it. Toastmasters is a club that focuses on public speaking and becoming the best presenter you can be. There is also that tried and tested "practice makes perfect" theory. You will never become better at something if you don't practice. 


Or, if you are like me, you may try the Carly Simon method. Nothing makes you feel better than rocking out to your favourite song. Whichever one you chose, know that a positive attitude can change your perspective on the situation. Stay positive and practice. Oh, and break a leg!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's really interesting that for some singing in front of a group is easier than speaking. I wonder if it's because it may seem more natural then giving a written speech. I will definitely check out Toastmasters before all our presentations coming up, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been nervous about public speaking, but when I started practising before presenting, I noticed a big difference in the quality of my presentations. Because I know my way around my presentation when I practice, I feel a lot less nervous. Practising is the key!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Kate. I had no idea Carly Simon had trouble reading aloud... I've seen her in a few interviews and it looks as though singing really did help her.

    PS. I want to hear you sing one day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to public speaking, I am not overly nervous, however I can honestly say that I can more easily get up in front of a crowd and sing/dance/act with less anxiety. I don't know what it is. Stage fright is such a natural thing, and those who say that they have never had even a small taste of stage fright are lying.

    ReplyDelete