Monday, March 14, 2011

No Support Team Needed


While discussing my blog at work, I was quite astounded with the answers I received when I asked, "what should my next blog post be about?"
It was brought to my attention that an obstacle many people face is not having a source of support. Not having anyone believe in them.

To be honest, it wasn't something I really thought was an obstacle until this afternoon. An even stranger coincidence was that I found an old "Touched by an Angel" CD with the song I Believe in You by Amanda Marshall on it, I suppose it was a sign that I must write this topic.

In previous posts, I have focused a lot of time saying you need to support yourself. The negative thoughts will get you nowhere and you need to stop self-sabotaging your endeavours.

Having someone you love or someone you admire say that you are on the right path can mean the world to a person. For most people, having their family's approval trumps all other opinions.

Sara Paddison, Hidden Power of the Heart, offers an interesting take on the idea of family. "We are one big family of people, trying to make our way through the unfolding puzzle of life. We are all connected to one another in the heart. Connecting with the ultimate source of love is possible through discovering the hidden power in your heart."

Connecting with people, whether it be friends, family, boyfriends/girlfriends, is a crucial aspect in human development. The relationships you maintain will differ greatly from when you are a child to when you are an adult. As I learned in a sociology course, most people are not friends with the people they were in kindergarten.

Why is this? Well, people change. You need to find people who you connect with. These people should be going in the same direction you are and people who share similar life goals. Let's be honest, the things we were interested in as a toddler are vastly different from the things we are interested in now.

Imagine the one thing you have wanted your entire life. Whether it is a trip, your rock star dream or a political career, without the support of your family and friends you probably won't go after it.

According to a blog entitled "How to have Great Self Confidence," this need for approval stems from self-confidence and self-esteem issues.

There is probably a reason why one persons opinion matters most to you. Take a minute to think about whose opinion that is.

Now ask yourself, why am I leaving myself vulnerable to their opinions?

Before you take what anyone says to heart, it is important to note that most people are rather self-centred. Like you, when they are thinking about other people, it is mainly in relation to their lives, their experiences and their current mood. Their opinions and thoughts are based on how they see the world, which could be completely different than you do.

If you want something badly enough, you can attain it. You just need to filter the negative thoughts and opinions of others from entering your thought process.
Mark Twain has been quoted as saying, "A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
I am, in no means saying that I have never sought approval, but I am learning that maintaining an air of self-confidence and self-approval is the first step in reaching any of my goals.

After all, if you do not believe in yourself, why would anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I totally agree that you need to believe in yourself first. Without doing so, I think it will be hard to succeed at anything. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to believe in yourself, but once you do it is so much easier to accomplish your goals.

    ReplyDelete